James Hollmer-Cross suffers hideous wipeout at Pedra Branca


James Hollmer-Cross has suffered multiple injuries after a terrible wipeout at Pedra Branca, Australia.

Pedra Branca is one of the most dangerous big wave surf spots in the world. It is located 26 kilometers (16 miles) south of Tasmania. The small island pumps a super heavy, fast and steep wave that can easily mutilate the most experienced surfers.

James Hollmer-Cross, 32, survived a hideous wipeout while playing with the local devil, on the 2nd March, 2014. The surfer from Hobart knew what to expect, but he was not ready for a life-threatening event.

"I've surfed Pedra Branca five times before, it's known as a big remote and challenging wave. Mentally and physically it is easily one of the heaviest waves in the world," underlines Hollmer-Cross.

He traveled with a team of surfers (Danny Griffith, Zeb Critchlow, Tyler Hollmer-Cross, Jarrad Forster, and Justin Allport) and media professionals. They all saw what happened.

Pedra Branca reminds us of the power of Shipstern Bluff. Both spots are separated by less than 50 kilometers (31 miles) but united in strength.

"It's the heaviest thing that has ever happened to me. I thought I was going to die. I thought I'd broken my back. I almost passed out, but I fought it, and then I came through. It was pretty euphoric", adds James.

In the end, Hollmer-Cross is with us to tell the story. Injuries include a broken leg, partial ligament tears, a fractured tibia, and three months out of the water. Have you seen what a small piece of chop can do?

0 commentaires: